There are different option available for hosting a web site. Now individual need to decide as his needs, which option is cheap and best for him. Web site hosting can:
- Collocated Hosting
1. Free Hosting: Some service providers offer free web hosting. Free web hosting is best suited for small sites with low traffic, like family site, or blogging about hobbies. it is not recommended for high traffic or for real business.
- Low cost, its free
- good for family, hobby or personal blogging
- Free email is often an option
- No choice for domain name
- Few, limited, or no software option
- limited security option
- limited or no database support
- limited technical support
2. Shared Hosting: Shared hosting is very common, and very cost effective. With shared hosting, your web site is hosted on a powerful server along with may be 100 or more other websites.
- Low cost. Cost is shared with others
- Good for small business and average traffic.
- Multiple software option
- Own domain name
- Good support
- Reduced security due to many sites on one server
- Restriction on traffic volume
- Restricted database support
- Restricted software support
3. Dedicated Hosting: With dedicated hosting your web site is hosted on dedicated server. this is the most expensive form of hosting compare to others.The solution is best suited for large web sites with high traffic, and web sited that use special software.
- Good for large business
- Good for high traffic
- Multiple domain names
- Powerful email solution
- Powerful database support
- Strong (unlimited) software support
- Requires higher skill to maintain.
4. Collocated Hosting: Collocated means "Co-location". It is a solution that let you to place your own web server on the premises of service provider. This is pretty much the same as running your own server in your won office, only that is located at a place better designed for it. Most likely a provider will have dedicated resources like high security against fire and any other risk, regulated backup power, dedicated Internet connection and more.
- High bandwidth
- High up-time
- High security
- Unlimited software option
- Requires higher skills
- Harder to configure and debug.
So decide your web site hosting as per your requirement.